Yellow teeth are the nightmare of any person that takes care of their oral health. Have you noticed that your smile is not as white as it used to be? This can happen; fortunately, there are some treatments that allow you to change this. If you want to know the advantages and disadvantages of teeth whitening, keep reading.
What is teeth whitening?
Let us start with this fact: teeth are not perfectly white, at least not by nature. If you have stained teeth and want to make them brighter, teeth whitening may be the solution.
Teeth whitening is a dental procedure in which the dentist applies whitening agents (such as hydrogen peroxide and bleaching products) that, in higher concentrations, make your teeth look whiter.
Advantages of teeth whitening
If you whiten your teeth with a dentist, you can feel calmed and safe, since the procedure will be supervised and performed by a professional. You can also notice changes just after the session, which is a great benefit if you need results right away. The cosmetic advantages of teeth whitening are the following:
- Whiter teeth will give you confidence when smiling and speaking.
- People look more professional and clean.
- It increases your self-esteem.
Although cosmetic advantages are important, they need to be compared with the disadvantages. It is important to mention that as long as your procedure is carried out by a professional, it will be safe. Nevertheless, teeth whitening could have some side effects such as the following:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Gum irritation
- Discoloration over time (teeth go back to their normal tone)
Take care of your teeth
The best way to show healthy white teeth is by always taking care of your oral health. Here, we will give you some advice to avoid stains and that yellow shade, and keep a perfect tone in your smile:
- Always brush your teeth at least three times a day.
- Use floss.
- Reduce your consumption of sugar and candies.
- If you drink coffee, brush your teeth after you had it.
- Try not to eat or drink just after you brushed your teeth.
- Make regular appointments with your dentist and follow their indications.
At Dental Clinic Monterrey, we recommend you to contact us and tell us your needs so that we can advise you. Having a proper oral health is not that hard, but it will be easier if you have a professional that can guide whenever you need it. Now that you know the advantages and disadvantages of teeth whitening, what will you choose?